I’ve always considered Thanksgiving dinner my favorite meal of the year. It’s a dinner of memories, really, of things my Mom, my Grandmother, my relatives, would always bring to the annual feast. There is such anticipation of those special foods you might only get to enjoy once a year! When I married my husband, Doug, I was introduced to a new family favorite, this wonderful cranberry bake. It’s the perfect toasty and fruity side dish for your turkey and mashed potatoes. But unlike cornbread stuffing or marshmallow topped yams, this is a recipe you’ll want to make more than just once a year. It’s wonderful with pork, roasted chicken, or in lieu of a cobbler type dessert…it’s a delicious multitasker! There’s a printable copy of the recipe below my how to video. I hope you and your family find this recipe enjoyable!
Cranberry Apple Bake
- 3 cups whole fresh cranberries
- 3 cups fresh Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 lb butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the cranberries, apples, and white sugar together in a casserole dish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the brown sugar, oats, and walnuts.
- Mix until combined and then pour the mixture on top of the cranberries and apples. Distribute evenly.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown.