If you’re looking for a super simple, last minute kind of dessert, then you are going to love this easy chocolate pie.
But let’s lay the ground rules first.
In order to enjoy this simple pie recipe, you must like pie.
And you better LOVE chocolate.
What I love about this pie is that all of the ingredients are pantry staples, so it’s easy to whip up this recipe last minute or when you need feed that inner chocolate loving beast.
What Is A Chocolate Pie?
The hardest thing about this pie is trying to explain its consistency.
It has a bit of a crispy top after baking. It reminds me of the corner pieces when you bake a pan of brownies.
But the actual filling is smooth and creamy. But it’s not as loose as a pudding, if that makes sense?
Maybe it’s a creamier version of an under baked brownie? Or a liquified version of fudge?
Let me put this to rest. If you really need to explain this pie to someone, here’s your answer: “Trust me. It’s just good.” It’s really as simple as that!
Quick And Easy Pie Ideas
Pie for dessert has been a staple in my family forever.
My Grandma was the best cook and baker and she could whip up a pie, any pie, in no time flat.
She always kept her ingredients simple and every bite of every pie I ever ate was always perfect.
These memories of delicious pies are what inspire me to bake yummy desserts for my family. And my kids will tell you, if there’s pie for dessert, they’ll have two slices, please!
An easy favorite to make anytime of year is my sour cream apple pie. It has a delicious streusel topping and a subtle custard baked into the cinnamon apple slices. A wonderful twist on a classic!
An Easy No Bake Pie
I have a hard time resisting key lime pie when I find it on a menu. So when that craving hits, I love my version of key lime pie, which is a no bake recipe.
While it’s a refreshing dessert in the warm summer months, don’t underestimate how wonderful this pie tastes after a heavy meal of winter comfort food.
A small slice will do you (I often make mini versions as individual desserts)…it’s decadently rich. But would you really want it any other way?
A Year Round Classic Pie
My husband’s favorite pie is my pecan pie recipe. You would think this is a hard or labor intensive recipe because of the gooey, rich filling and all of those tasty pecans that seem to be suspended in all of that goodness.
Truth it, pecan pie is one of the easiest pies I know how to make. My recipe is from an old, historic inn located in Maine. My mom called it the best pecan pie she had ever tasted, and the innkeeper shared the recipe. It’s the only pecan pie my family has served for over 40 years.
Easy Chocolate Pie
I’m excited for you to try this simple chocolate pie recipe. I’m always surprised at how many people tell me they’ve never had a chocolate pie. Oh….the surprise that awaits!
So, without further ado, let’s get baking this chocolate lovers pie!
Chocolate Lovers Pie
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 TBSP unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1- 5 oz. can EVAPORATED milk (there are usually 2 sizes of evaporated milk, this is the SMALL can).
- 1 frozen pie crust (9 or 10 inches is fine…you can also use homemade if you prefer). I use Marie Callenders.
- Preheat oven to 350. There is no need to prebake your frozen pie crust.
- In medium bowl, mix the sugar and the cocoa powder together.
- Add the eggs and mix. Then add butter, vanilla and evaporated milk. Mix together well.
- Pour chocolate mixture into pie shell.
- Bake for about 55 minutes. Check to make sure pie crust doesn’t get too brown while baking. You may need to add a pie shield or foil to protect pie edges.
- Pie should be fairly set. There may be a subtle jiggle (not overly so). Pie continues to cook a bit once removed from oven.
- Let cool then refrigerate before serving. Store in refrigerator.
Easy As Pie!
To quote the queen of home cooking, Ina Garten, “how easy is that?”
So, the next time you’re looking for a dessert idea that’s a little unexpected but hits the mark on every level, I hope you’ll remember this little gem of a recipe for easy chocolate pie.
Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of the page if you give it a try! I always love to hear how my recipes and ideas are working for you in your home.
From my kitchen to yours,