When I was in high school, my parents and I drove from southern California to Maine (and back) on a summer road trip.
I have so many wonderful memories of that vacation.
Yes… it was a lot of togetherness in the car, but I was an only child so at least I had the backseat to myself! It was also an incredible opportunity to see so much of our beautiful country.
To this day, I’m grateful my parents planned that trip.
Related: My Go-to Travel Essentials
One of the highlights of the cross-country vacation was eating my first lobster in Maine. But for my mom, it was having a slice of pecan pie every night after dinner.
According to her, it wasn’t just any pecan pie. Maybe it was the environment, but she brought it up time and time again after the trip.
It was served at this quaint inn where we stayed, and the owners were kind enough to share the recipe with my mom upon our departure.
It’s become a regular staple at our house ever since!
I love topping this pie with my homemade whipped topping…I sweeten it just a bit and add a little cinnamon.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the pecan halves on the bottom of an unbaked 9” pie shell.
- Beat the eggs well in a medium-size bowl.
- Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Combine the corn syrup, melted butter, and vanilla in a third bowl and set the syrup mixture aside.
- Pour the dry ingredients in with the eggs and mix well.
- Spoon the egg mixture over the pecans. Slowly and carefully pour the syrup mixture on top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until golden brown and the center of pie is gently set.
I love topping this pecan pie with my homemade whipped topping… I sweeten it just a bit and add a little cinnamon. Your tastebuds will thank you!
I hope you’re able to indulge in this pie on National Pecan Day. It’s such a treat and there’s no better excuse to make it!
But if you’re pressed on time or want a simpler way to enjoy this dessert, we also offer Corky’s Pecan Pie at the Just Jill Shop!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!