There’s a big trend out there right now using zucchini as noodles. They make a great base for this dish too….even my kids will eat their veggies this way! This makes four meal servings, or it can make eight side dish servings. I love it as a meal with a nice salad and crisp glass of Pinot Grigio!
- 12 oz bulk sausage or sausage removed from casings, cooked and drained (I like hot breakfast sausage, but any kind is fine)
- 2 large zucchinis
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (I like grape tomatoes or Romas)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Butter a baking dish (size depends on size of your zucchini).
- Use a fork and lightly “stab” each zucchini.
- Partially cook whole zucchini in microwave on high for about five minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine eggs, cheeses, onion, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, remove the seeds by scraping with a spoon, and rinse. Place halves in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with garlic salt. Add sausage to each zucchini, followed by tomatoes, and then top with cheese mixture in each half.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, then broil for about five minutes to brown the cheese. (Keep your eye on them; you don’t want them to get too brown).