This fudgy chocolate sheet cake recipe is so easy and good! The cake isn’t overly chocolatey, but then when you add the fudgy frosting, the chocolate game is upped big time!
I’ve always loved taking this cake to gatherings. It’s often called Texas Sheet Cake because it makes a lot of servings (so it’s big like Texas!). I like that when cut into pieces, it’s sturdy enough to be held like a brownie, so you don’t have to dirty any extra plates!
My favorite way to serve this is in a bowl with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Talk about upping your game!
Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (16-oz) box confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- To prepare the cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the butter, water, and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a separate mixing bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Once the cocoa mixture is cool, pour it in with the flour mixture. Add the eggs and sour cream. Beat until combined.
- Pour the batter into 10″ x 15″ rimmed baking sheet (jelly roll pan). Bake for about 20–25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- To prepare the frosting, dump the confectioners’ sugar into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter with the milk and cocoa in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Spread this on the sheet cake as soon as the cake comes out of the oven. (The warmth of the cake will help you spread the frosting.) Let the cake cool completely before serving.
If you really want to get creative during football season, you can decorate the cake in a sheet pan to look like a football field. Your favorite fans will love it! Here’s a pic from when I was at QVC and we used this recipe for a tailgate party idea. The goal posts are popsicle sticks!
If you’re looking for another recipe that can feed a crowd, be sure to check out my best ever chocolate chip cookie recipe. And my kitchen essentials list can help you with any baking supplies you might need.
Let me know if you give this recipe for Texas Sheet Cake a try! I always love to hear from you!
From my kitchen to yours,