I don’t have any of the stats, but I’d say that ambrosia salad is one of the most popular summer side dishes out there. But if you ask me, it can be enjoyed any time of the year!
Thanks to the sweet taste of the fruit, it’s a perfect contrast to juicy burgers, smoky ribs and other barbecue sides. Plus, it’s an American classic that people almost always expect to see at any gathering.
While my family didn’t invent ambrosia salad (that happened in the 1800s!), we have a special recipe that we’ve been using for years. You can check it out here!
This delicious salad came from my husband's family's recipe collection. Filled with the classics and an addition of greek yogurt and blueberries, it's a go-to for summer.
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, drained except for 2 TBSP
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl, add pineapple, yogurt and saved pineapple juice.
- Start to gently fold together, then and add marshmallows and coconut. Continue folding until all ingredients are covered in yogurt.
- Add mandarins and blueberries last and lightly fold into mixture. (Don't mix too much because the mandarins break up easily).
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
If you want a little more sweetness, you can always do 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 plain greek yogurt.
The recipe is actually from my husband Doug’s family recipe collection. And based on his reaction when he sees it in the house, it’s one of his most favorite desserts!
I took a few liberties with it, including adding blueberries and using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Doug actually likes this version just as much… but it’s a little healthier and even adds some protein!
I also think that the tang balanced with the fruity flavors is part of what makes this so good. It’s such a great recipe for outdoor entertaining, potlucks, and whenever you want to whip up a super simple dish!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!