It doesn’t get much easier than this tasty and tangy lemon orzo salad with feta recipe.
This is one of those “Jill” recipes where I just threw some things together and ended up with a new family favorite!
I often serve this as a side dish during the summer months. It’s so good with anything you might be cooking up on the grill.
But it’s also versatile enough that if you have some leftover cooked chicken or shrimp, it easily transforms into a delicious main course meal.
Feta, lemon, oregano and more! This dish has the perfect combination of ingredients that makes it both delicious and refreshing. This is one of my go to summer side salads. But it's great as a main course "salad" when topped with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 !/2 tsp dried oregano, or 4-5 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 tsp dried red pepper
- 1 /2 cup olive oil
- 1 16oz. box orzo, cooked
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 12 oz Feta cheese, cubed
- Fresh oregano and lemon slices to garnish
- Combine the lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and red pepper in a medium-size bowl. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Place tomatoes, onion and cucumbers in a bowl. Pour 1/2 the dressing over this mixture and let sit for about 30 minutes while you cook the orzo.
- Follow box directions for cooking orzo. Be sure to salt the water! When finished, drain, rinse orzo with cool water and drain again.
- Place orzo in large serving bowl. Add tomato mixture and the remaining dressing. Toss together.
- Top with feta cheese and lightly toss again.
- Garnish with lemon slices and fresh oregano is desired.
- Serve slightly chilled or at room temp. (I like room temp as I think the flavors are better!)
I definitely leaned into the flavors of a Greek salad with this lemon orzo recipe. But, you’ll notice there are no olives. A little fact about me-I DON’T DO OLIVES! That’s a story for another day!
If you love the zesty tangy flavor of a lemon, with a little salty, creamy bite from feta, you’re going to be in orzo salad heaven with this recipe.
One more meal idea. Try my halibut and shrimp kebabs and serve them on top of a bed of this orzo recipe. What an impressive and delicious idea for entertaining!
From my kitchen to yours,