I was completely fascinated (and a little skeptical) when this easy-to-make 2 ingredient dough started popping up on blogs and social media accounts a few years ago.
Could flour and yogurt really combine to make a bread dough that I would actually want to eat? And one that would taste good? Well… the answer is yes. Absolutely YES! This fluffy dough is so easy and versatile, and one of those recipes I make on the regular.
While I typically use it to make bagels, it’s also great in a pinch when you need a last-minute pizza crust or breadsticks. So if you’re looking for an easy recipe using basic pantry staples, you’ll have to give this 2 ingredient dough a try!
Can flour and yogurt really combine to make a bread dough I want to eat? The answer is absolutely YES!
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt (I highly recommend FAGE, I think it makes a difference) make sure you’ve stirred the yogurt so any water is mixed through.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix the flour and yogurt together until dough ball forms. Put a little bit of flour on your work surface and lightly knead the dough. It shouldn’t be overly sticky, but is definitely a slightly wetter than a traditional bread dough.
- Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Roll into a ball, poke a hole in the center and form the bagel.
- For bagels, brush the dough with a beaten egg that has been mixed with a tsp of water. Sprinkle tops with salt, everything seasoning, sesame seeds or just leave plain.
- OR, roll the 4 portions into breadsticks. Brush with egg wash, then sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
- OR, divide into 2 portions and flatten into pizza crusts. Have fun with your toppings!
- For pizza, top with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like.
- For all, bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes or until a nice golden brown. Don’t underbake.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy!
I can tell you with full confidence, the bagels you make will be yummy RIGHT out of the oven! Or, you can slice them in half and gently toast them… I like to add a shmear of cream cheese or jam! ENJOYABLE!
You’ll need to keep this 2 ingredient dough as part of your recipe arsenal. Just think… you’re always just a couple of ingredients away from homemade bagels and bread!
And I’m a sucker for anything that comes close to bread. Yum 🙂
Let me know if you give this one a try at home. Share your thoughts with me in the comments, and pass it along to friends and family for them to enjoy as well!
From my kitchen to yours,