Years ago, I had my first bite of a strawberry cake. Pink, sweet, flavorful and delicious. It was unlike anything I had ever tasted! I mentioned it to my Grandma Metzger, and of course, she had a recipe for strawberry cake in her magic recipe box. This is often my cake of choice for my birthday, girls get togethers, baby showers or just because. For this recipe, I made cupcakes, but you can easily bake this is a 13×9 pan instead.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 (3-oz) box of strawberry Jell-O
- 5 oz frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sliced & hulled fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 4 Tbsp Strawberry Syrup (recipe below), chilled
- 1-3 Tbsp milk
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- To prepare the cake, preheat the oven to the recommended temperature on the cake box. Combine the cake mix, flour, and Jell-O in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix on medium speed while adding the oil, eggs, and strawberries.
- Mix well and pour into 12-cup muffin pan lined with cupcake liners. Bake the cake according to the package directions. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the strawberry syrup, combine the strawberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat and pour it into blender. Blend until smooth.
- To prepare the frosting, cream the butter and the confectioners’ sugar together. Add the strawberry syrup, one Tbsp at a time, and the salt (if desired) and beat on high for 30 seconds, until fluffy. If it’s too thick, add the milk, one Tbsp at a time, until it’s the desired consistency.