The first time I had a version of this black bean and avocado salad, I knew I had found a new favorite side dish.
When it comes to BBQ side dishes, I’m really not that big of a fan of mayonnaise-based salads. Don’t get me wrong…I like them, but when it’s hot out and you’re trying to put out a picnic type spread, the last thing I want to worry about is whether my potato salad is spoiling from the heat of the sun.
I tweaked the original recipe a little bit, and I’ve yet to serve this and have any leftovers.
Black Bean Avocado Salad
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded with veins removed then minced
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (I like kosher salt for this)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- To make the salad, combine the tomatoes, peppers, beans, onions, and jalapenos together in a bowl.
- Make the dressing separately from above by whisking together lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture. Let the salad marinate for 2 hours before serving, then gently toss the avocados (and cilantro if desired) into the mixture. Don’t over mix, or the salad starts to get mushy.
So good to eat so many ways!
This black bean and avocado salad is a really versatile recipe. While I’m featuring it here as a side dish, you can use it as an easy filling for soft tacos, as a dip with scoop chips, or as a fresh salsa on top of grilled chicken.
Presentation is everything when you’re putting out a bbq spread. Check out my outdoor entertaining must haves to make sure you are picnic party ready!
I hope you’ve enjoyed my blog mini series to get you ready for the summer grilling season. In case you missed it, part one was on marinades and grilling tips and part 2 was my fresh lemon halibut and shrimp kebab recipe.
I’d love to hear from you if you try any of my tips or recipes! Leave your comments in the section below and say hi!
From my kitchen to yours,