There are lots of traditions that come with the autumn season.
Going to pumpkin patches, decorating with fall touches, finding a corn maze and more.
Maybe one of the most popular traditions is apple picking… and if you’re lucky enough, you may be able to pick up a few apple cider donuts straight from the orchard.
If you’ve never tried an apple cider donut, you don’t know what you’re missing. But I can certainly give you a taste of one in this apple cider donut cake.
It tastes just like an apple cider donut down to the soft inside and subtle crunch of cinnamon sugar.
And it’s super easy to make too.
I love any recipe that uses boxed cake mix. It takes out so many steps and I can never tell the difference!
In addition to cake mix (I use the super moist one in the picture above), this recipe includes a variety of warm fall flavors like cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla and apple cider.
When the cake is out of the oven and cooled, I brush it with warm melted butter (you can’t go wrong with a coating of butter).
Then, I sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture on top to give it that incredibly scrumptious apple cider donut feel.
Here’s the recipe to give it a try!
Apple Cider Donut Cake
Moist, flavorful and topped with cinnamon sugar, this bundt cake tastes like a classic apple cider donut!
For the Cake
- 1 box (15.25 oz) super moist yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup cinnamon apple sauce (not chunky)
- 1 cup apple cider (cider... not juice!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter (for brushing)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl (with a hand mixer or stand mixer), beat the dry cake mix, apple sauce, apple cider and eggs. Add the cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon), vanilla and brown sugar to the batter.
- Pour into a thoroughly greased and floured bundt pan. (I used the Baking PAM which includes flour!)
- Place the bundt pan on the center rack and bake for 40-45 minutes. If using a toaster oven (which is what I used), adjust and bake for 35 minutes. Check to make sure the cake is done by sticking a toothpick into it and making sure it comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from heat and allow it to cool IN THE PAN for about 10 minutes. Remove it from the pan and let it cool for another 20 minutes or so.
- While the cake is cooling, mix the 1.5 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar together in a small bowl.
- When the cake is cooled, brush the surface with melted butter, pour/rub the cinnamon sugar onto the cake until evenly coated.
You can eat this apple cider donut cake as is, or you can take it to a whole other level by heating up a slice in the microwave.
That warmth really does something. I’m not sure how, but it truly brings out all the flavors inside.
Related: Tasty Pancakes to Make This Fall
And if you’re really feeling ambitious, top a slice with vanilla ice cream. Just tell them Jill told you to do it… no judgment 😉
Just LOOK at that cinnamon sugar topping.
I wish I could give you a taste through this blog, but until then, you’ll just have to give this apple cider donut cake a try yourself and let me know what you think!
Oh, and if you’d like to check out some fun bundt pans, CLICK ON the photos below:
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!