Plenty of people have a go-to baked beans recipe. But this recipe for my best-ever baked beans is so good… I can’t keep it to myself!
I don’t cook the beans from scratch. Canned baked beans from the store work perfectly fine.
And while you can eat those beans as is, I add a few ingredients to make these baked beans over-the-top delicious. A great twist on the classic!
The flavorful chopped onion. The extra-crispy chopped bacon. The beans — sweetened with brown sugar and molasses… this side dish may be the most talked-about food of the day!
Related: Classic Macaroni Salad
Did I mention they’re cooked in a slow cooker?
This makes them ideal for a 4th of July party or potluck. When you’re prepping other dishes, the slow cooker will do all the work for you — making your day a whole lot easier.
My Best-Ever Baked Beans
Sweet and full of flavor, these baked beans are loaded with bacon, onions and more... making them ultra-delicious!
- 32 ounces pork and beans (I use Campbell's)
- 1 small diced onion
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup
- 8-10 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Open the cans of pork and beans and pour them into your slow cooker. Stir in the brown sugar, chopped onion, ketchup, molasses, and chopped bacon.
- Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on high for about 2.5 hours.
- When they're finished, let the beans cool slightly to thicken up before serving.
I find that my beans turn out perfectly when cooking 2.5 hours. I would say 3 hours max... you don't want them to dry out!
If cooking these best-ever baked beans the day of is still a little much, you can make them beforehand and pop them in the refrigerator to serve the following day.
They’ll taste just as good and let me tell you… no one will complain if they’re served as leftovers, either!
I hope you’ll gives these beans a try. They’re a huge hit in my household and they’re one of our favorite dishes to make for any summertime gathering.
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!