This smooth and creamy cheesecake rivals anything you’ll buy at a bakery and is so easy to make.
My Mom made this cheesecake for me for my 16th birthday. From the very first bite, I knew this recipe was special.
A Simple Supermarket Swap
The original recipe for this creamy cheesecake called for using zwieback toast for the crust.
Zwieback is a crispy, sweetened toast-like cookie, often used as teething biscuits for babies. I used to get them for Kylie and Trevor!
They’re not easy to find, so I adjusted this recipe and decided to make a crust from shortbread cookies you can easily find in the grocery store.
I crossed my fingers when I made it with the new crust (who likes change with a beloved family recipe??) and I have to say… I’m in love with the new crust for this cheesecake recipe.
Enjoy our family’s favorite homemade cheesecake!
I hope it becomes a favorite for your family too!
This incredibly creamy cheesecake only uses a few ingredients and is easier to make than you might think!
- 1 10 ounce box Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies, processed to crumbs
- 3/4 stick salted butter, melted
- 3 (8 oz.) blocks of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 9 inch springform pan.
- In medium bowl, combine shortbread crumbs and melted butter. Mix together to that butter is incorporated well into the crumbs.
- Spread crumb mixture evenly over bottom of springform pan. Press down firmly, using hands or back of spoon to "tamp down" crust. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese and start to mix. Then add 1 c. sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla and eggs. Mix together until smooth (usually 5-7 minutes in a stand mixer). You don't want any cream cheese clumps in the batter. It takes a little time, but it's worth it! This is what makes the cheesecake creamy!
- Pour batter onto shortbread crust. Bake 35 minutes.
- Take out of oven (middle of cake may still be a little jiggly). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn up oven temperature to 425 and prepare topping.
- In medium bowl, combine sour cream, 2 tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. vanilla. Mix by hand and spread on top of cheesecake.
- Put in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes. Cool and refrigerate before slicing.
So Smooth and So Creamy!
Your fork will glide right through this creamy cheesecake.
Nothing dry and crumbly here! Just rich, decadent, deliciousness!
In case you need a springform pan, click here to see the one I use.
A good springform pan is essential when baking a cheesecake. It needs to be sturdy and release easily.
And they’re not just for desserts! It’s great for deep-dish pizzas too!
And if you just don’t have the energy, or the weather is too hot for a baked cheesecake. Be sure to check out my Grandma’s recipe for Cream Cheese Cherry Delight.
A delicious NO-BAKE Cheesecake that is always a hit!
I’ll be anxious to hear if you give my family’s creamy cheesecake recipe a try!
When I think back to my 16th birthday, it’s one of the things I remember most.
Isn’t that the best part about family recipes??
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!