Hi, friends! I created this recipe a few months ago and it recently gained some national attention!
It was featured under the lifestyle category on FoxNews.com and I’m grateful that even more people will be able to enjoy it now!
Check out the article HERE and read on below to see how to make it. It’s the perfect hearty dish for those cooler nights!
Super Simple Hamburger Casserole
Not all casseroles are created equally. There are cheesy casseroles, sweet casseroles, vegetarian casseroles and more.
But something almost all casseroles have in common is that they are warm, comforting and hearty.
I recently stumbled upon a casserole recipe that I found in my Grandmother’s recipe collection. She always had a way of finding the best recipes and this one is no different.
Related: Grandma Metzger’s Best Casserole
I’m not really sure how to categorize this casserole. It has hearty meat like a hamburger, but it doesn’t really taste like a hamburger. It also has a bit of a Mexican flair thanks to the sour cream.
But how I categorize it doesn’t matter… what DOES matter is how good it is. Check out the recipe below!
Easy to make and perfect as a meal you can pop in the freezer for later, this hamburger casserole is hearty, full of flavor, and a fam-favorite.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 package of medium egg noodles
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Add your beef to a pan and cook through. Drain excess liquid.
- Add onion, garlic, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Cook noodles and drain. Arrange the noodles in the bottom of the casserole dish (sprayed with cooking spray). Pour in the meat sauce, sour cream, cottage cheese, and mix.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve immediately or let cool and place in the freezer covered.
You can dig into this hamburger casserole immediately. But if you ask me, it’s best as a frozen meal!
After baking, let it sit out to cool and then cover it before popping the casserole into the freezer. It can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven.
Let me know if you try this hamburger casserole… the first time I baked it I had a couple of servings! And my son? He just about devoured the whole thing 🙂
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!