Some of my favorite desserts are light and refreshing. And that’s precisely why this recipe for Lemon Squares has a special place in my heart… and in my stomach!
Now, I don’t call them the “best ever” for nothing.
These Lemon Squares are the *perfect* balance of tartness and sweetness which is ideal for the spring and summer months.
The filling is similar to lemon curd, and it gets a bit of a crispy layer on the top (similar to meringue) when baked.
They also have a shortbread-like crust that is both buttery and slightly sweet.
Each taste will give you a sinful, textured bite. Talk about enjoyable!
In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a family-friendly dessert like this. These lemon squares a little different from other recipes out there.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus extra for topping
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat over to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, the butter and the confectioners’ sugar. Mix until crumbly.
- Press into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish to form a crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the remaining 1/2 cup flour, the granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice and lemon extract until well blended.
- Pour over the hot crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set. Keep an eye in the final minutes that these don’t start to brown… it means the curd has cooked a bit too long.
- Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
- Dust with extra confectioners’ sugar and serve.
*If you want these bars to have a thicker crust, you can also bake these in an 11×8 pan. Baking time should stay about the same.
I feel like you really can’t go wrong with lemon squares. That’s why people gobble up this dessert whenever I bring it to a gathering.
And did I mention these lemon squares are published in a cookbook? Yep. They earned a spot in “Mr. Food—A Taste of QVC”… and for a good reason!
Related: 4 Just Jill Lemon Recipes for Spring
As the hot temps hang around, I hope you’ll find some time to make these at home… in the AC of course! They’re really quite the treat (and I won’t tell anyone if you go back for seconds!).
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!