When the summer heat is on, this easy no-bake chocolate lasagna dessert is one of my go-to recipes.
This family favorite dessert uses simple ingredients, only takes a few easy steps, and can be made the day before your event (in fact, I think that yields the best results!)
The idea of calling this a “lasagna” doesn’t have anything to do with pasta! Instead, it refers to the layers of ingredients that create this no-bake slice of chocolate heaven dessert.
Here’s a quick overview of the recipe. You’ll find the complete recipe card, with measurements, ingredients and instructions, towards the bottom of the blog.
Let’s Start Layering!
You start with an oreo cookie crust.
No need for the double-stuf here, just use your regular (original) Oreo cookies and turn them into fine crumbs using a food processor or by placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.
By adding a little melted butter, you have something to hold the crumbs together. I usually use the back of a spoon or the bottom of a glass to press the chocolate cookie crust into a 9×13 pan.
Now that you have the first layer ready to go, it’s time to get the cream cheese layer ready.
This next layer is as simple as mixing the cream cheese with some sugar, vanilla extract and a little milk. You can easily use a hand mixer for this.
Then you add 8 oz of Cool Whip to the mixture and your cream cheese layer is complete. You’ve basically created a layer of cheesecake on top of the crunchy Oreo crust.
But WAIT! There’s more to come!
After the cheesecake layer, it’s time for the chocolate pudding layer.
But here’s a little secret: that pudding layer is actually a combination of instant chocolate pudding mix AND instant vanilla pudding mix! The combination of the two puddings for this next layer really helps to make this so smooth and creamy.
It’s a little bit like an eclair cake taste. SO GOOD!
And now for your top layer! It’s simply another layer of Cool Whip.
A note here: If you want to make this chocolate lasagna dessert with homemade whipped cream, you certainly can do that!
Make sure you whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar to the level of sweetness you like and whip until soft peaks form.
The finishing touch for this no-bake dessert lasagna is really up to you.
I like using mini chocolate chips as I think the “bite” of the chocolate is a nice contrast to all of the creaminess in this dessert. But you could also use Oreo cookie crumbs or chocolate curls or chocolate shavings too.
This is a great no bake recipe when the heat is on! The "lasagna" idea comes from the layers of yumminess...cool, creamy and chocolatey! Everyone seems to love this recipe. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 36 Oreo cookies (1 package of regular cookies, NOT double stuff).
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 16 ounces cool whip (2-8 oz. cool whip containers)
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding (unprepared)
- 3.9 ounce box instant vanilla pudding (unprepared)
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Use a food processor (or a resealable bag and rolling pin) to crush the Oreos into fine crumbs.
- Pour the cookie crumbs and melted butter in a medium bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish and use a spatula or the bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the crumbs across the dish.
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add in the sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix well.
- Fold the contents of one of the 8-ounce Cool Whip containers into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cookie crust and place it in the fridge to set for about 20 minutes.
- While the mixture is setting, add the pudding mixes (chocolate and vanilla) and 2 3/4 cups of milk to a bowl. Beat on medium until it starts to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the fridge and spread the pudding mixture over the cream cheese layer. Put it back into the fridge to set for another 30 minutes.
- When the pudding layer is set, gently spread the remaining 8 ounces of Cool Whip over the top and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Cover the lasagna with plastic wrap and let it chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
This is one of those easy dessert recipes you’ll find yourself making again and again.
So the next time the temperatures start to soar, never fear! You’ll be dessert ready with this scrumptious no bake chocolate lasagna recipe! ENJOYABLE!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!