When you’re ready to try a new recipe, put this cheesy hashbrown potato casserole at the top of your list!
I’ve made this delicious recipe so many times, I have it memorized. That pretty much says it all! Because if you’ve made a recipe enough times that you don’t need the recipe card, you’re making it a lot because people love it!
This comfort food style casserole might seem like a breakfast dish because of the hash browns. And yes! It’s great on a breakfast buffet. But I also love to make this as a side dish for ham or roasted turkey or chicken. I’ve even taken it to a tailgate to serve a long side burgers, pulled pork and hot dogs.
Check out this recipe for easy cheesy hashbrown potato casserole below…and keep reading to learn a few more ideas I have around this tasty recipe.
I love making this easy cheesy hashbrown casserole. It never disappoints. It is perfect on a breakfast buffet, or as a side with your holiday ham.
- 1 large bag (30 0z) bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted plus butter for preparing baking dish
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (16-oz) sour cream
- 1 (8-oz) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided into 1/4 cup and 3/4 cup
- 1 TBSP Seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- *see notes for ideas on what to sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 13' x 9" casserole pan.
- Mix together all the ingredients and 1/4 c. of cheese in large mixing bowl. Put mixture in casserole dish.
- Top with remaining 3/4 c. shredded cheese. * see notes for ideas on what to also sprinkle on top
- Bake for 1 hour, until lightly browned and bubbly.
To jazz up the look of this easy hashbrown casserole, I like to sprinkle a little smoked paprika or cayennet pepper on top before baking. You can also use some dried parsley or chopped green onions too. None is necessary...make it yours!
Get Creative With This Casserole!
One of the things I like about this hashbrown casserole is that it’s a tasty base for the addition of other ingredients.
Have some leftover ham from a holiday meal? Dice it up and throw it in!
I’ve added 2 small cans of diced and drained green chiles to this cheesy casserole. WOW! If you enjoy southwestern flavors, you’ll love that addition!
Side note: If you do love southwestern flavors, be sure to try my recipe for Chile Cheese Egg Bake! Click HERE to check it out!
While I haven’t tried it yet, I do think some crumbled, cooked bacon on top with the shredded cheese would be a yummy finishing touch too. I mean, I love cheese and bacon on a baked potato, so it seems like it would be a pretty scrumptious combo! What do you think?
So the next time you’re invited to a potluck meal or want to go beyond bacon and eggs for breakfast, I hope you’ll give this easy cheesy hashbrown potato casserole a go! I can’t wait to hear how you liked it…and how you played around with flavors to make it your own!
From my kitchen to yours,