You can tell me you don’t like zucchini… but my zucchini chocolate chip cupcakes might change your mind. Between the moist cake and hints of vanilla throughout, I promise that vegetables will be the LAST thing you’re thinking about when eating one of these.
Oh, and did I mention they’re topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting? You’re welcome!
You might not actually taste the zucchini in these, but the good thing about using vegetables is that they add some nutritional benefits to the recipe. For example, zucchini is packed with some great vitamins like Vitamin A and vitamin C. It’s also rich in antioxidants which can provide your body with a variety of health benefits.
But I know that’s not why you’re here… you’re here to find a recipe for a tasty dessert! So here’s everything you’ll need to make my zucchini chocolate chip cupcakes at home.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
You can tell me you don’t like zucchini…but my zucchini chocolate chip cupcakes might change your mind! Did I mention they’re topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting? You’re welcome.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Whisk these ingredients together so they are well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs and mix until smooth. Add in oil and vanilla and mix together.
- With mixer running on low, start to spoon flour mixture into wet mixture a little bit at a time, until all of the dry mixture in incorporated. The dough will be thick.
- Stir in the zucchini (the moisture from the zucchini will loosen up the dough into a more batter like consistency.) Add chocolate chips and stir until mixed in.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into each of the paper liners in the muffin tin.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until tops are light brown and toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
You can enjoy these cupcakes without the frosting, but I can promise you they aren’t the same without it. Plus, it only requires five simple ingredients.
If you’re a fan of carrot cake this recipe will be a hit… and if you’re anything like me, you’ll taste a couple of spoonfuls of frosting before it makes it on the cupcakes!
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
My zucchini chocolate chip cupcakes are topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. YUM!
- 1 (8 oz) brick of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Sift the powdered sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, use mixer to cream and combine butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- With mixer off, add sugar and cinnamon and on low, mix into cream cheese and butter until well combined. This is enough to frost 2-3 dozen cupcakes, or a 9×13 cake.
Whether you need an easy dessert for a family gathering or just an excuse to whip up a tasty treat, I hope you enjoy these cupcakes!
From my kitchen to yours,