I took my first bite of gooey butter cake while living in Missouri as a college student.
I had never heard of this dessert, but when it has the words gooey, butter and cake in its description? Count me in!
Related: 15 Homemade Cake Recipes I Love
During my years at Mizzou, I sampled quite a few pieces of this sinfully delicious dessert, which is believed to have originated in St. Louis.
But when I tried this recipe, I found the one I REALLY loved.
This recipe was given to me by a friend’s mom after I spent time at their home during a weekend break. I kept raving about how good her cake tasted and she made sure I went home with the recipe.
It’s not quite as “wet” as other butter cake recipes I’ve tried. I like that this recipe has a bit more cake around it, but still all of the yummy cream cheese filling.
And if you want a recipe in your routine that is easy to make last minute and contains a lot of pantry staples, then this cake is the dessert for you!
- 1 box Golden Butter Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks butter (1/2 lb.) softened
- 1 8 oz. brick cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 16 oz. box powedered (confectioners) sugar
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 13x9 pan.
- In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) add cake mix, 2 eggs and 2 sticks of softened butter. Mix until smooth. The mixture will be thick.
- Place mixture into greased pan. Lightly butter hands and press the mixtures evenly in pan.
- In separate bowl, use mixer to blend the cream cheese to smooth. Then add eggs and vanilla. Continue to mix until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar to cream cheese mixture slowly until incorporated well.
- Pour cream cheese filling over cake mixture in pan. Use spatula to smooth and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cake edges become light golden brown and cake still has a bit of a "jiggle" to it.
- Let cool and serve.
- Store Refrigerated for 5 days.
This is a great basic recipe for gooey butter cake and you can play around with the flavors. Add shredded coconut to the cake mixture. Try using a chocolate cake mix and add chocolate chips. Have fun coming up with new ideas!
More Easy Desserts
I guess I have a thing for cheesecake-type desserts…
Please let me know if you give the gooey butter cake recipe a go. I’m happy to bring you a piece of the Show Me State.
From my kitchen to yours,