I’ve never considered myself a lemon connoisseur, but with the number of lemon recipes I’ve shared, I might need to re-label myself as “Lemon Lady!”
And today, this “Lemon Lady” is sharing a dessert that is delightfully sweet and citrusy… lemon cake bars!
Related: Easy Baked Blondies
I originally thought about calling these lemon blondies. But they’re more light and airy than your classic blondies. With that said, they’re SO rich in flavor and they hold together as a finger food — like a brownie.
You can certainly enjoy these lemon cake bars whenever you’re craving a delectable and tangy treat. But they’re extra tasty when spring and summer roll around.
How could you not love a dessert that’s refreshing and satisfying at the same time??
And as long as you have lemons in the house, you can find just about all of the other ingredients in your pantry. Making these cake bars a great last-minute dessert for any of your spring or summer parties!
Here’s just how simple they are to make.
Luscious Lemon Cake Bars
Lemon Cake Bars
Sweet and tangy at the same time, these lemon cake bars are a treat that won't disappoint!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper (you can also spray it with nonstick spray).
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest (from 1 full lemon) with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Then, add the lemon juice. Mix in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the 8x8 pan and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake the cake bars for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest (from 1/2 lemon). Then, pour the glaze over the cooled cake bars. Evenly spread it over the top.
Now, of course, you can enjoy these lemon cake bars without the glaze. But in my opinion, you’ll be missing out. The glaze really adds that burst of lemon flavor that takes these bars from great to over the top.
Searching for some more delicious lemon recipes to make at home? Here are some of my favorites!
- The Best Lemon Poke Cake
- Refreshing Lemon-Poppy Seed Bread
- Banana Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake
- Lemonade Chiffon Dessert
- Best-Ever Lemon Squares
- Easy No-Bake Lemon Blueberry Pie
I told you I have quite a few lemon recipes… and it’s sometimes hard to choose just one to make!
And if you’d like to see more ways to incorporate lemon into your life, click on the photos below!
From my lemon-loving kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!