I still remember when my Grandma taught me how to make this snack mix. It was a staple on her kitchen counter, and it’s not uncommon to find a batch in my kitchen too!
Related: Delicious Snack Mixes I Love to Make
It’s filled with savory and crunchy pieces that taste better with every bite. And you can get creative with it by adding anything you’d like (but the crunchier the better!).
But there’s something extra special about this recipe I like to call Grandma’s Snack Mix, and it’s the fond memories of our time in the kitchen together. They flow back to me every time I make a batch 🙂
Maybe you can make this snack mix a tradition too!
How to Make Grandma’s Snack Mix
This mix is one of the first things that my grandmother taught me how to make. It was a staple on her kitchen counter. Now, when I need to make something for a crowd, this is my go-to recipe. Don't be afraid to be creative, anything crunchy would be a good add-in.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2-1/2 cups rice Chex cereal
- 2-1/2 cups corn Chex cereal
- 1 cup wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup pretzel sticks or pretzel minis
- 1 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and then mix in the Worcestershire and spices.
- Dump the cereals, pretzels, and peanuts into a large bowl.
- Pour the butter mixture on top and stir to coat.
- Spread out the mixture on a baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until light brown. This usually takes about an hour
- Store in a covered container. Will keep fresh for up to 2 weeks.
If you're watching your sodium, feel free to use onion powder and garlic powder in place of the onion and garlic salts. If you don't have celery salt, seasoned salt will work...but I don't think it's as good. I've also make this mix using unsalted cashews instead of peanuts. Cheddar goldfish crackers or Cheerio cereal can work in the mix too.
I love serving this at parties because it’s such a simple grab-and-go snack. It’s the perfect summertime mix because you don’t have to worry about anything melting in the heat.
But Grandma’s Snack Mix is also great for travel or anytime you need a quick pick-me-up throughout the day.
Do you think you’ll give it a try? Will you add anything else to make it special in your own way? Let me know!
And if you’d rather enjoy a premade snack instead, check out some of my favorites below:
- Pear’s Snacks — Delicious nuts for any occasion
- PAKTLI Food — Filled with nutritious and high-quality organic ingredients
- Southern Roots Toffee Pieces — a great way to curb that sweet craving!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!