This recipe makes the best rolled out sugar cookies I’ve ever tried. They come out a little puffy, soft and so good. So go find some cookie cutters, and have some good old cookie decorating fun with this recipe. This is our go-to for Santa’s cookies each year too.
This recipe makes the best rolled out sugar cookies I’ve ever tried. They come out a little puffy, soft, and soooo good.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar, for rolling dough
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Cream the sugar and shortening together. Add the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Start with the 5 cups of flour, then add by tablespoons until the dough is not sticky.
- Roll out the cookie dough on a clean surface, sprinkled with powdered sugar, to about 1/4” thickness.
- Cut the dough into your desired shapes.
- Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet until the cookies are puffy and light brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes.
- Let them cool completely and then frost with your favorite frosting.