I’m a fan of almost every type of cookie, but there’s something special about sugar cookies. For me, it’s that they can be dressed up or dressed down… kind of like a classic clothing item!
You can leave them plain if you want to enjoy their classic vanilla flavor. Or, you can frost them for an extra kick of sweetness! And who doesn’t love topping cookies with candy? The kids won’t give it a second thought!
This recipe makes the best rolled-out sugar cookies I’ve ever tried. They come out a little puffy, super soft and oh-so good! So go find some cookie cutters and have some good old cookie-decorating fun.
This recipe makes the best rolled-out sugar cookies I’ve ever tried. They come out a little puffy, soft, and soooo good.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar, for rolling dough
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Cream the sugar and shortening together. Add the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Start with the 5 cups of flour, then add by tablespoons until the dough is not sticky.
- Roll out the cookie dough on a clean surface, sprinkled with powdered sugar, to about 1/4” thickness.
- Cut the dough into your desired shapes.
- Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet until the cookies are puffy and light brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes.
- Let them cool completely and then frost with your favorite frosting.
I like to enjoy these sour cream sugar cookies in so many ways.
First, they’re always our go-to cookies for Santa.
Kylie, Trevor and I like to use festive cookie cutters to make them into fun shapes like snowmen and reindeer. Plus, baking them as a little kitchen crew is always a good way to bring everyone together.
You can even add them to a dessert board for the holidays!
If you check out the video above, you’ll see that a bunch of my favorite cookies make their way onto the board. Why not these too?
These sugar cookies are also great for holidays throughout the year.
Around Valentine’s Day, I use a heart-shaped cookie cutter and frost them in pink and red.
A lot of times, I like to buy frosting from the store because it’s easy and quick! But when I have a little extra time, I’ll whip up my classic cream cheese frosting. Yum!
This time of year, I like to make sugar cookie “pizzas.”
So think of it like a regular pizza but instead of the dough, you use the cookie base! And instead of the cheese and toppings, you use frosting and fruit!
You’d be surprised at how decadent and refreshing something can be at the same time! Find the full recipe HERE.
So, how do you think you’ll use these super simple sour cream sugar cookies? I’d love to hear how you change it up!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!