You don’t have to travel to Italy to enjoy a delicious gnocchi dish. You can make it in your own kitchen!
I recently came up with this 5-ingredient spinach and mushroom gnocchi dish and it turned out to be a winner.
I looked up countless gnocchi dishes and they included way more steps and ingredients than I wanted… and the time?
I wish I had that much time in my day to dedicate to making dinner!
So, I discovered a way to get the same delicious taste of a classic gnocchi dish without the hassle. How? Store-bought gnocchi and marinara. Why complicate things?
Check out the recipe below!
Comforting and easy to make, this flavorful gnocchi dish is a pasta dish you'll make time and time again.
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 2 cups marinara sauce (regular or spicy)
- 2/3 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Add olive oil, spinach and mushrooms to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until ingredients are sautéed (about 3-5 min).
- Next, pour all the marinara sauce in the pan with the spinach and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and add parmesan, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (if using). Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook your gnocchi according to package instructions (either boiling or in a pan). *See note!
- Turn the heat on the sauce down to low, and add gnocchi to the pasta sauce. (if boiling, drain first)
- Stir the pasta sauce and the gnocchi until combined. Serve as is or top with additional parmesan cheese.
Store-bought gnocchi typically comes in a vacuum-sealed bag or a frozen bag. If the gnocchi are frozen, follow package instructions which usually include boiling (about 5-7 minutes). If in a vacuum-sealed bag, follow the package instructions which usually include cooking in a pan.
I added saudéed spinach and mushrooms to my gnocchi dish. But you’re welcome to add anything you’d like!
Onions, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, or fresh mozzarella. It’s up to you!
Not a fan of gnocchi but in need of a hearty and comforting dish for dinner? Check out some of my other popular recipes below!
- My Three-Cheese Baked Ziti
- Tastiest Tetrazzini Casserole
- Sautéed Shrimp with Tomatoes, Herbs and Feta
- Easy Fettuccine with Shrimp
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikki Masala
- Super Simple Hamburger Casserole
If you end up making this and changing things up, I’d love to hear how it goes!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!