These savory ham and cheese sliders might just be my most favorite way to enjoy a ham and cheese sandwich.
I feel like ham and cheese are one of those combos that go together like milk and cookies. Peanut butter and jelly. Peas and carrots.
Related: Roasted Veggies and Ham Quiche
But these savory ham and cheese sliders are in a class all their own.
The combination of the slightly sweet Hawaiian rolls, the ham, the cheese and the savory buttery spread, makes for a winner of an appetizer or meal.
I don’t think I’ve ever made these sliders and had leftovers. But I will confess, sometimes I make an extra batch to enjoy the day after we’ve had company.
Once you take a bite into these savory sandwiches, you’ll understand why I enjoy these ham and cheese sliders so much.
You’ll also love how easy these sliders are to make! Let me show you!
Let’s Make These Tasty Slider Sandwiches!
You’ll find the complete printable recipe further down in the blog. But I thought I’d show you step-by-step how easy it is to make these sliders!
To start out, take a long bread knife and, leaving the rolls together, horizontally slice the tops off the rolls. Try to keep the tops intact and unseparated. The bottom too.
Next, layer your ham on top of the rolls. As you can see, you can overlap these ham slices in different ways.
Next, let’s cover those ham slices with Swiss cheese.
If you’re thinking this just looks like an old-fashioned ham and cheese sandwich, here’s where the game-changing flavor happens.
Place the tops of the rolls over the cheese slices.
And get ready for the savory goodness.
Brush the mixture of melted butter, Worcestershire, poppy seeds and minced onion over the ham and cheese sliders. It might look like a lot, but once this all bakes into these sandwiches, you’ll be in slider heaven.
Bake these babies up for about 15 minutes covered in foil. Then remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes more.
Sstand by as these sliders are devoured by your guests!
Below you’ll find the complete recipe for these savory ham and cheese sliders. I hope you give them a try!
Savory Ham and Cheese Sliders
These easy to make sliders are the perfect balance of flavor. A little sweet with the hawaiian rolls, a little savory with the buttery topping, and a whole lot of cheesy goodness. A definite crowd pleaser!
- 12 Kings Hawaiian style rolls cut in half horizontally. DO NOT SEPARATE ROLLS
- 3/4 lb. ham (thinly sliced if using deli ham) I like using leftover ham from
- 1/2 lb swiss cheese sliced (I love Jarslberg)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray
- Place the bottom half of the rolls on the pan.
- Start with a layer of the ham on top of the rolls. Sometimes I'll do 2 layers is the ham is really thin. If you're using leftover ham from a spiral ham, then 1 layer is probably enough.
- Layer one cheese slice over the ham
- Place the tops of the rolls over the cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, mustard, poppy seeds, dried onion and Worcestershire sauce.
- Brush the butter mixture over the tops of the rolls. It might seem like a lot, but use the entire mixture. This bakes into the rolls to create such yummy flavor.
- Cover the sandwiches with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Uncover the rolls and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until the tops of the rolls are lightly browned.
I usually count on 2 sliders per person.
The Perfect Party Food
These sliders have come in handy for me many times.
Whether we’re hosting a holiday party, football celebration, or a family get-together, they’re always a hit.
And if you have any leftover ham from a holiday meal, this is a great way to use it up.
I don’t know if appetizers are considered a meal, but if it were up to me, I think I could eat appetizers for dinner every night.
If you’re looking for appetizer inspiration, be sure to check out a few of these Just Jill Favorite recipes:
Throwback Veggie and Ranch Cold Pizza
Let me know if you give any of my recipes a try!
I always love to hear your thoughts.
From my kitchen to yours,