If you have a slow cooker lying around that you rarely use, now is the time to bring it out! I’ve made this Slow Cooker Three-Bean Chili for as long as I can remember and it’s both tasty and super filling.
In my household, we have a chili cook-off competition between me and my husband, Doug.
His chili is different every time… sometimes spicy, sweet or smoky.
He’s used chocolate, strawberries, sweet peppers, and who knows what else in his versions.
Me? I like having a simple foundation. And when the mood strikes, I can always kick it up!
Don’t tell Doug, but the kids always go back for seconds for this easy version of my slow cooker three-bean chili.
We have chili cook-off competitions in our house between me and my husband, Doug. Don’t tell Doug, but the kids always go back for seconds for this easy version.
- 2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomato and green chiles
- 1 (14.5-oz) can chili beans in sauce
- 1 (14.5-oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-oz) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (29-oz) can tomato sauce (or 2 14.5-oz cans)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder *see note
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- Shredded cheese (optional garnish)
- Sliced jalapeños (optional garnish)
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Hot sauce (optional garnish)
- Brown the ground beef or turkey in large skillet with the onion, over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked. Add garlic and cook for additional minute.
- Drain off any excess oil and put the mixture into your slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 4–5 hours.
- Top with shredded cheese, jalapeños, sour cream, and hot sauce, if desired.
*I really prefer chipotle chili powder if you can find it. It has a smoky flavor that really gives this chili a wonderful flavor!
Remember, this recipe can be changed depending on your own taste preferences.
Want more spice, use diced jalapenos in the base. Not a fan of pinto beans? Simply swap them for black beans instead.
Want some other comforting recipes to have on hand? Here are a few of my favorites:
However you make it, I hope this three-bean chili will become one of your favorite weeknight meals!
From my kitchen to yours,
Did you know I have my own online shop? Check it out HERE!
A a a a a a a a a a a a a.